Wednesday, September 30, 2009

365 Days

Gratitude Challenge Day Six: Take a few minutes to call someone you haven't talked to in a while. Tell them how much you appreciate them.

Today's assignment should have been the easiest one of the whole 21 days. When we were young, my older brother would tease me that when our family went camping I would probably die because I wouldn't be able to talk on the phone. I used to spend hours on the phone as a teen -- truthfully, my monthly cell phone usage report shows that I still do. But as the day ticked on, I ran into a problem. See, ever since my dad's stroke I have talked on the phone a LOT! Even more than usual and to many, many friends and family members. And yet I wanted to call and thank someone who is really special to me. Someone I hadn't talked to in a while. And then it came to me. Today is September 30th. One year ago exactly was my last day of "paid work." And my department threw a beautiful good-bye party for me. So I called my former boss and told him that while I was enjoying this season of being an at-home parent, I still am grateful for him. Glad for the adventures we had working together. Thankful for his care for me as a person and a friend. Appreciative of his vision and leadership. And still feeling honored by the lovely reception, heartfelt words and thoughtful gifts that he and my team gave to me. After we hung up, I realized that while I hope he felt appreciated because of my call, I was the one who truly benefited because making the call brought to mind so many great memories. Maybe it wasn't exactly the easiest assignment of the whole challenge, but it was the one I've enjoyed the most.

No comments: