Sunday, November 08, 2009

Flit, Flap, Flutter, Fly

I'm going to let you in on a dirty little secret. I do not keep a perfect house. My closest friends are nodding in agreement. And being at home with two little kids has not improved my random and chaotic housecleaning methods. So recently I've had to break out a tool that I've used before... a funny tool... a tool that has WAY too much purple (my least favorite color)... a tool that over-merchandises itself with cheesy stuff (but also sells effective tools)... a tool that despite the drawbacks, truly helps me. That tool is FlyLady. The FlyLady philosophy is basically about developing simple, but regular routines. It emphasizes getting rid of clutter and staying positive. I've been reading the emails again for about two weeks and have made some good progress around my home, without feeling like I'm working harder. Anyway, it isn't the system for everyone, but I'm grateful for the guidance and encouragement.

5 comments:

Kim said...

Maybe I should check her out again. Sometimes I find sites like that helpful and encouraging and others I find it's another way to beat myself up on what I'm not doing.

Seattle Sun said...

With FlyLady I don't beat myself up b/c everything they send out is positive. But I do get annoyed at the endless testimonials about the products they sell. And honestly the whole system seems elementary at times. I find myself slipping into, "Well I don't need to do that dumb thing," when really I DO need to do all the basics even if they seem TOO basic! :)

Adelle said...

I've been a fan of FlyLady since before there were products! I did buy the feather duster though, and I do have fun swishing it about. I don't subscribe any more, but she's become part of our family vernacular. For example: Honey, why don't you try to start FlyLadying the garage this week?

Miss Kris said...

I think it's time for me to try out FlyLady. I go through cleaning spurts but my whole house is never clean (especially of dust). My goal is to one day have a house where every room is clean even if it is just for a moment.

Seattle Sun said...

Adelle - I have the duster too! I used to read her stuff 5 or 6 years a go and then stopped. I think I'll ask my hubby to FlyLady the garage... great idea! :)

Kris - I feel the same about laundry. One day (hopefully in the near future) EVERY single piece of laundry will be clean and put away. Which WILL only last about one minute before one of the kids spills on themselves. :)